Saturday, February 9, 2013

2013-02-09 testing the cold weather gear

This is now my third favorite photo of me on a bike! Thank you Bela for the Winter riding Bib pants and thank you Closer to Free for the long sleeve jersey! they are is the best thing ever!!!!!!

The photos almost make it look like I'm riding on the road huh? too much snow and ice to ride, but I need to get the base miles in!

I did the stationary trainer for 1 hour.
Averaged 16.3.  it was 25 degrees +/- 2 degrees.
at about 45 minutes in the 25 degrees my midsection was too hot and my feet were too cold. 
 I was warm everywhere except for my toes. I would have gone longer if feet were warm, but they were feeling numb.

legs
had winter riding long pant bib by Canondale. legs were warm! It felt awesome! the fore legs and knees have a thick membrane for windbreaking, the rear and majority of the pant is a spandex type material. feels great. feels warm.

midsection
had 3 layers on midsection. against the body I had a wicking cycle jersey (Closer to free year 2011 Marshall (the way it was spelled) jersey to be precise), Canondale cycle sleeves (they feel cool at first, but are sure to keep your skin dry). a long arm closer to free cycle jersey as the fleece substitute and an under-armour cold weather jacket/windbreaker (not in photo). I felt warm enough to keep going! After working up some heat, I was tempted to unzip a bit....but that is not the right thing to do.

head
under armour cap, additional bandana covering my brow and my ears.  I felt just right, but probably not enough if riding on the road. I usually use the UA cap and a fleece band over my ears. this is enough for my ears and just the right fit for my helmet.  the under armour cap always leaves this silly line on my forehead... I wish they would do something about where they place the stiching.

feet
wool socks, cycle shoe and bootie covers by garneau.  my feet were still cold, I will try the foot warmers in the bootie cover next time. Walmart sells some type of rig for Deer Hunters... I'll test and post here.


If I can ride in 25 degrees and enjoy it this much......wow I'm gonna really love spring and summer!

Wow this water is ice cold, where is the Jack Daniels?, not that I drink while I ride. I just need something to keep my water bottle from icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment