Friday, August 2, 2013

Hill climbing gears

I blew a spoke a few weeks ago so had to get a new rear wheel rim and new cogs in order to do the ct challenge while the shop fixed my old one.  the new rim was lighter and one out of the 10 rear cogs was different.  having put over 5000 miles on the bike set up i could feel the difference instantly.

I got to thinking...and researching a bit.  can i change the rear cogs to help me climb the hills?

I spoke to a few bike wrenches and they talked me into trying something out. 

I had 10 cogs on the back.
12,13.14,15,16,17,18,19,21,23
In front i have 53/39.  I could go fast but not as fast as my legs could push.  i could climb, but at 23 my easiest gear.....i was still having a bit of trouble on whirlwind hill.

The bike shop swaped out the rear 10 for a 11-28T
11,12,13,14,15,17,19,21,24,28.
All i lost was 16 and 18, that i usually skip when climbing anyway.
I will have to say.....i gained 1 speed gear with the 11 meaning that my sprint blast of is now much snappier and has more pep....YES!!!!!!!!
And i gained 2 additional bail out gears for climbing!!!!!!#24 And #28.
You all know that 11 is the smallest but hardest gear and the 16 and 18 are average and 23 is the easiest on your bikes.  so you all know the difference in gearing between the middle gear 18 and 23 easiest gear.

Well i just went from 23-28.!!!
I just climbed a few small hills around the bike shop....but it kind of felt like i was just spinning in place...it was insanely easy....

For all of you that are afraid of cycling whirlwind.  reach into your piggy bank.  for about $200 bucks you get the 11-28T rear cog set up a new longer chain and an easier climb.  

You still need to pedal, you still need to spin and get your aerobic workout, but it will be easier on your legs and knees!...

No comments:

Post a Comment